There are millions of apps in the world today. Some make fart noises, some are designed to save the world, and still others are just for fun. So with so much to sift through, new killer apps are frequently overlooked.
To that effect, at SDI decided to take an in-depth look at two different apps. And not just any old app; specifically, we’re going to look at apps that fall into two categories
• They’re designed for the working professional;
• They approach an old problem with a new method.
Full disclosure, this is an app made by my company, SDI (for some of our other work, check out our portfolio), but this app received hundreds of thousands of downloads and was recently sold for big bucks. In other words, we’re pretty proud of it.
Our customer came to us with the idea that so many people out there are looking for love (in all the wrong places) but don’t have the time or energy at the end of a long day to go on dates. The client realized that we are in a society that uses digital technology in all aspects of our lives; why shouldn’t we use it in dating?
Thus Video Date , a date app was born. The first of its kind, this mobile app allowed users to have a date via a live video link. Video Date was designed to help people extremely limited time, but we quickly realized that there were other positives that were not as evident, mainly safety and security.
Unfortunately, women in our day and age still have a lot to fear from the dating scene. Violent actions towards women by males is a global epidemic and this fact is instilled in every woman on the planet. Video Date provides an extra layer of protection and the opportunity to get to know one another in a safe, protected environment.
Many of you may have noticed the above comment where I mention that Video Date was “recently sold” and be wondering what that may be all about. What many people looking to start their own app entrepreneurial ventures (neologistically termed “appreneurs” in technobabble) don’t realize is that one of the best ways to make money off an app is to build it, make it popular, and sell it to an app company.
If you have an idea and want to scope how to make a dating app from scratch – Contact us for a free discussion today.
We always recommend this to our clients who are looking for a short-term investment with a quick and profitable ROI. It has several distinct benefits:
• It’s perfect for the serial entrepreneur who wants a quick turnaround;
• If you have a limited budget, it will help keep your costs down;
• Related to lower costs, it requires less upkeep. An app is a continuous cycle of updates and maintenance. Building an app itself is actually the easy part; the hard part is marketing and keeping your app hip. Selling it means you only have to make it popular, make a quick buck, and wash your hands of the entire thing. Pretty sweet right?
Castivate is a relatively new app designed to help models, actors, singers, dancers, and other entertainers find casting gigs. While this is hardly the first attempt at a digital casting call, Castivate tries to do things a little differently. Not the least of which is that it’s currently completely free to download and use (and promises to remain so), plus entirely ad-free for the time being.
First and foremost, Castivate is the first app that successfully connects talent to gigs through a mobile app for free. It’s pretty much the only one app out that does it period; Backstage, one of the most well known casting sites, has launched two separate casting apps, neither of which were all that successful.
The only other app we found that helped actors with castings was Actors Access Mobile: for a whopping $25 you get basically the same thing Castivate does. Sure, it’s a little more advanced (it’d better be for that price!), but it doesn’t seem too worth it to me.
Castivate has some other distinct features we should mention:
• Users can set a filter to match their profile. One of the biggest complaints about modern casting sites we found was that entertainers have to spend hours a day looking through casting and most of them don’t even match their appearance or skillset.
• In other words, Castivate lets users filter casting to their gender, age, ethnic background, and entertainment style (i.e. acting, dancing, singing, etc). That way, castings are sent to the only based on the profile they themselves established.
• Castings are matched and sent to local users. In addition to filtering results based on appearance and skillset, the app will filter based on location. Even better, it will notify users of new castings that match their preferences.
• Users can upload a photo of themselves to the app. Castivate will then display your picture in the app, as part of the scroll through the process. A clever feature of industry all about getting noticed!
• Just from a tech perspective, it’s got a great design. It’s simple, logical, and very easy to use. While our engineers were precisely looking for new roles in the hit show “Once Upon a Time,” they were impressed with the build itself. If you’re trying to come up with a good design, take a look. Remember, simple (not boring!) and attractive is better than over-the-top complexity.
While the professional this app targets is a narrow field (entertainment) it’s got a lot of potentials to become a huge resource for entertainers. Better yet, it’s an easy tool to get your foot in the door, so the perfect option for the aspiring actor. Get your app developed at low pricing today!
SDI prides itself on creating excellent work for low prices. We love building new types of apps that are groundbreaking and inventive in the way they tackle problems. We specialize in SMB enterprise options and appreneur projects for the average person with a great idea. If you got an idea for a great app, send us an email and we can started today. Contact us soon to receive 40% off your first project.